2 small onions - diced
4 cloves garlic - minced
1 green bell pepper - diced
2 pounds Ground Beef
1/3 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
2 jalapeños - stems removed, seeded and minced
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 15-ounce can red kidney beans - – drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce can pinto beans - – drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce black beans - – drained and rinsed
1 6-ounce tomato paste
20 small dinner rolls - – select oval for football shape
shredded cheddar cheese
red onion – diced
green onion – diced
1. In a large pot, sauté onion, garlic, and bell pepper over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in Ground Beef, crumbling with a wooden spoon and cooking until no pink remains.
2. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and jalapeños. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, and tomato paste. Bring chili to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 to 2 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Cut the top off each bread roll and hollow out the inside to make a mini bread bowl. Be sure to leave at least ½ inch of bread at the bottom. You can also press the cut-out top back into the bottom of the bread bowl to be sure your chili won’t soak through.
5. Fill each bread bowl with chili and garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, diced green onion, red onion and jalapeños.
6. If making into a football shape, use sour cream piped from a plastic bag with the corner cut off to pipe on the laces.